Paul's Blog
Floating in cyberspace, you see the words "Rubbish Bin #3" hanging in neon purple letters. They melt and reform constantly.
There is a penguin here, walking around on the ice.
There is a pile of linguistic drivel on the floor.
Obvious Exits: North, East, Up, Panic

16 October 2005

Postscript

"Who are you?"
"Paul."
"Who?"
"Your roommate."
"Oh."
"Do you get morning amnesia?"
"Yeah...like I can't remember anything since I got here, since...like, the weather. Does that make sense?"
"...Sort of."
"Zzzz..."

He won't remember in the morning what he said in the night.
He wakes, looks around, and mumbles a few careless words
before dropping off to sleep.
I humor him.
The simplicity is appealing.
I'm awake, not because someone opened the door
and wandered in at two AM.
I am the Wanderer. I am awake
because I must find solitude,
Alone with a man I cannot stand.

13 comments:

Elder Child said...

I hope my comps don't do that. Sorry!

Paul said...

By the way, you all probably misread the last line on your first reading.

Maren said...

Do I want to hazzard a guess as to what the last line meant? Probably not.
That's funny that he talks in his sleep. I'm not sure why YOU'RE awake at that hour, either, mister. *glares at screen* And you tell me I'm not healthy...

Elder Child said...

What are you saying? I thought I had the only interpretation possible. I thought you were pretty clear. Are you alone with yourself and you can't stand yourself being awake and wandering at two AM? Is that the other interpretation?

Paul said...

sideways 8

Emmett said...

I'm leaving this one alone.

Paul said...

Good choice!
*gives cookie to Emmett*

Maren said...

Sideways 8! Yes, Emmett, you probably should leave this one alone. Chris, you're just not getting it, are you? Oh boy, Paul...I get it! ( I think)

Emmett said...

So, going completely off topic, I got my score back for my Japanese written midterm and I passed that, too, 95.5% A!

Paul said...

Whee! Good job! And, after calculating my oral and written overall point totals, I got a 95.4%~one tenth of a point, Emmett, one tenth of a point! *grin*

Maren said...

A tenth of a point...oh, wow. When are you gonna update, dude?

Emmett said...

UPDATE! IT'S BEEN A WEEK!

Maren said...

I second that, Emmett!